Tuesday 16 February 2016

A new design range in the making - crocheted beads

I would like to introduce you to some new jewellery which I have been working on this year. Although the initial idea came to me when I was enjoying a quiet couple of weeks away with family in the Hebrides back in October last year, I had to put it on the back burner so I could concentrate on Christmas. Whenever I could, though, I picked up my crochet hook and started crocheting, as always with me I didn't use wool, instead I crocheted with wire threaded with tiny glass beads  - the result was a selection of crocheted wire and bead beads.
below is a selection of photos showing different stages of the crochet process

thread the wire with beads

crochet a ring and increase the stitches

continue to increase the stitches

crochet without increase before decreasing again to make....

the finished crocheted wire and beads bead
I wanted to wait before making an item to share on here until I had a few items ready and before I had tested the water by making a necklace using some of my crocheted beads, to wear at the #sbs event which was last Friday, (I will be writing a post about the #sbsevent at a later date) - this is the necklace I wore;


 I wanted to make it a statement piece that would stand out in a crowd and it did! so after having such an enthusiastic response to this necklace last week I returned home to make up some jewellery with the beads I had already crocheted, I will continue to work on this idea now, so there will be more jewellery to show at a later date but for now here are my new designs

crochet bead necklace 18 inch with silver plate clasp

crocheted bead necklace on 28 inch black plate chain

crocheted bead asymmetric necklace on 27 inch black nylon coated wire with black plate clasp 

crocheted bead  with glass bead necklace as pendant drop on a 28 inch silver plate chain

handmade jewellery by Angela Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment