Thursday 8 April 2010

Spotlight on Michael Wheeley - Member of the Staffordshire Artists and Makers Cooperative

I spent today at the Gallery in Eccleshall , but instead of posting about the jewellery I made while I was there it occurred to me that I could do a spotlight on each of the members of the Staffordshire Artists and Makers Cooperative instead, So today I am going to start off by featuring Michael Wheeley.

Mike has enjoyed a life long career in hairdressing, successfuly competing, as a hair artist, in many prestigeous hairdressing competitions throughout Europe. Mike decided to take the flowing and sculpted  movements he found in his work as a stylist through to wider dimensions and decided to turn his attention to fine art.
This resulted in the completion of a B.A. degree then an M.A in Fine art at Birmingham City University School of Art in 2008.
Michael particularly enjoys working on large scale contempory pieces and allows the spirit of the piece to take over. He sees each of his sculptures and paintings as unique adventures and uses a variety of mediums including plaster, clay and acrylics to arrive at a final effect which follows flowing organic curves. His subtle handling of surface texture creates both spontaneeous and exciting elements in all his work.
Michael has an honest, passionate and deep felt relationship to his art. He has exhibitted throughout the Midlands and in Central Birmingham.
Below is a selection of Mikes work currently on display in Gallery at 12.





To see more information about Gallery at 12 please visit my page on the gallery, link can be found at top of page.

If you would like to see two of the items I made while I was at the Gallery today, please visit my facebook page.

1 comment:

  1. Profiling the other people in the gallery is an excellent idea. I really liked some of Michael's work when I saw it. Like your turquoise pieces too.

    ReplyDelete